X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob46802
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.0.0 Beta 4

alot of basic (dumb) questions

I took today off from work to tackle the job of installing vb3 onto my new website.
    I dont know all that much about database, php or other stuff. So its a learning process for me

a few questions
    1) quote from vb install page it says to do this "Unzip the files from the ZIP archive, ensuring that you maintain the directory structure."
    my site name is honda-central.com
    what would be an example of where to unzip the files?

2) i assume once i have unzipped the files, I dont need to change where the config.php file is located? I should just fill in the blanks and save it.

3)my hosting company recomends I used cute ftp to upload the config.php file. what has worked for you guys?

4)how do i install the config.php file? I enter my username and password along with my domain name and it will connect then say
    "STATUS:> Connect: Tuesday 14:56:59 01-06-2004
    STATUS:> Connecting to http://www.honda-central.com (ip = 66.40.221.162)

then after a minute it will disconnect because it never finds what its looking for.

5) "
    You are now ready to upload all the files onto you web server. The files that need to be uploaded are in the 'upload' directory of the ZIP archive. Upload the files to the directory where you'd like your forum to be available from. Upload all files in the images directory (and its subdirectories) as BINARY and all the others as ASCII. Again, make sure that you maintain the directory structure"
    im confused with that paragraph.
    how do i make sure that the files will be uploaded in binary and ascII?
    and that the directory structure will be maintained?

6) I contacted the sever this morning and made sure they support php and mysql. and he setup a database for me and gave me the username so that I could put it on the config.php file

any other tips would be helpful. I feel like a dumbhead trying to figure this out cause I dont know that much.

cheers!
    ~rob
  • DarkDelight.net
    • Jul 2003

1) unzup to a folder on your pc

2) leave config.php exactly where it is. You must "fill in the blanks" before uploading it.

3) I use SmartFTP

4) Sorry, I' don't understand
    Config.php does not require installing.
    Open it in a text editor and enter your connection details, then upload it with all the other files.

5) Your FTP client should automatically select the appropriate transfer method.
    To learn how to override this and set it manually, consult the user guide for whatever ftp client you are using.
    To insure the directory structure is maintained is usually a simple matter of selecting all the files in the upload folder and all the subfolders and dragging them to your ftp client.

6) It looks like your server admin has supplied you with the information you require. "Fill in the blanks" in config.php with the connection details you were given.

Make sure you have been given:-

database server name or ip address (not the url of your forums)
    database name
    database username
    database user password
    Last edited by DarkDelight.net; Tue 6 Jan '04, 2:22pm.
    Sig? What sig?

Comment

• bob46802
      • Jan 2004
      • 3.0.0 Beta 4

mucho gracias

i was confused by the website port and ftp port

so i was putting in 80 instead of leaving it at 21, and it wasnt allowing me to connect

I just uploaded everything. but when i went to http://www.honda-central.com/forums/admin/install.php.
      and I get this
      "
      The requested URL /forums/admin/install.php. was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

i uploaded the files to honda-central.com then under the www/ folder

because i couldnt create a forums/ folder

do i need to figure out how to make a new folder labeled forums and install all the "upload" files there?
      Last edited by bob46802; Tue 6 Jan '04, 3:01pm.

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
        • Jul 2003

You do not need the forums folder for it to work.
        In fact some sites are purely forums and have their main url eg http://www.whatever.com go straight into their forums.
        If you do plan on having a site on the same domain I would suggest that you move your forum files into a forum folder.
        Sig? What sig?

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
          • Jul 2003

bob46802.

Please read your pm
          Sig? What sig?

Comment

• bob46802
            • Jan 2004
            • 3.0.0 Beta 4

i think i have most of it figured out

but now when i upload it all, and go to

Please make sure you have entered the values in to config.php4.new and renamed the file to config.php4

but when i look under

\upload\includes

teh file name is config.php

should it be renamed config.php4?

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by bob46802
              i think i have most of it figured out

but now when i upload it all, and go to

Please make sure you have entered the values in to config.php4.new and renamed the file to config.php4

but when i look under

\upload\includes

teh file name is config.php

should it be renamed config.php4?
              Absolutely.

If you have chosen to install vB with php4 extensions instead of the default php then you need to stick with that extension

*edit*

I had a feeling there was something wrong with the file name.
              I guessed you hadn't removed the .new but did not consider you had downloaded vB with non default extensions
              Sig? What sig?

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
                • Jul 2003

Why did you choose php4 extensions?

Your setup appears to recognise .php4 s a valid php parsed extension but index.php4 is not being used as your default index file.
                Sig? What sig?

Comment

• bob46802
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 3.0.0 Beta 4

Originally posted by DarkDelight.net
                  Why did you choose php4 extensions?

Your setup appears to recognise .php4 s a valid php parsed extension but index.php4 is not bing used as your default index file.
                  hrm, i think i need to download another version

cause i keep getting:

so i either have my config setup wrong or i need to download just php version

since my sever suports php4 i thought i would use that

but i guess i should have just used the default setup

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
                    • Jul 2003

Best to go back into the members' area and download the zip again, this time with default .php
                    Sig? What sig?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...